Specialized Support and 24-Hour Monitoring for Critical Patients
Due to the serious nature of the trauma or illness, sometimes a dog or cat brought to Veterinary Specialists of the Rockies for a pet emergency or to see a veterinary specialist may require intensive care from our board-certified criticalist. Similar to a human ICU, Veterinary Specialists of the Rockies is equipped to provide 24/7/365 care for critically ill or injured pets or pets needing more specialized monitoring following a surgery or procedure.
What is a veterinary criticalist?
A veterinary critical care specialist (or veterinary criticalist) is a veterinary specialist who has completed extensive advanced training, education, and certification for treating pets with life-threatening conditions or traumatic injuries. At Veterinary Specialists of the Rockies, our board-certified veterinary criticalist partners with our ER doctors and veterinary specialists in internal medicine, surgery, cardiology, and diagnostic imaging to provide comprehensive care for our sickest pet patients.
Meet Our Doctor
When might treatment by a veterinary critical care specialist offer the best chance for recovery?
Some conditions that may require support in our specialized pet ICU include:
- Organ dysfunction, especially if multiple organs or involved
- Advanced complications from pet diabetes
- Heart disease
- Endocrine or metabolic disorders
- Brain or neurological traumas or disorders
- Respiratory illness
- Blood disorders
- Complications from anesthesia
- Other trauma or serious injury such as a pet hit by a car
Specialized facilities and care available at our animal hospital to treat your critically ill pet:
- Monitoring 24/7/365, including EKG, direct blood pressure, central venous pressure, and blood sugar monitoring
- Pain management
- Oxygen support
- Blood product administration
- Chest tube placement and maintenance
- Central/long line catheterization
- Advanced fluid therapy and intravenous catheters
- Urinary catheters and collection systems
- Feeding tube placement and maintenance
How do I know if my pet needs Critical Care?
If you seek care for a pet at Veterinary Specialists of the Rockies, you can rest assured that we offer one of the most specialized and state-of-the-art veterinary hospitals in Castle Rock. After examination of your pet by an ER doctor or veterinary specialist in internal medicine, surgery, or cardiology, we may recommend that hospitalization in our critical care unit and treatment by our veterinary criticalist may provide the best possible outcome for your pet. We will work with you, as well as your family vet, to determine the most appropriate care options.